Pages

Friday 12 September 2014

Skulduggery Pleasant: The Dying of the Light

The final book in the Skulduggery Pleasant series in which quite a few people, lots of plot points are solved and deus ex machina occurs. 

Alright, the final book of the Skulduggery series is finally here. The last book ended on quite a cliffhanger with Darquesse seemingly in charge and things going to shit. In fact, I'd say that's been the general tone of the last trilogy of the Skulduggery series, which has been building bigger and bigger explosions with every book. 

And it works. This book was pretty brutal for a series that started off as a childrens series. As I mentioned in my previous post about Skulduggery, the books slowly start getting less and less innocent as time passes and it's pretty apparent in this final book. 

If I had to name one of the few things I'm dissatisfied with in the book, it's that things wrap up too neatly in the book. Almost every single plot point is resolved in the finale, which is good for a story but I guess I'm just used to having a few points being left open at the end of most series. The issue with Valkyrie and Stephanie is resolved. The issue with Tanith and her remnant is resolved. The issue with the Accelerator and whose soul is needed to turn it off is resolved. And seriously, that last part? That makes me think the author was probably a rules-lawyer in his D&D games. I don't want to spoil it, but that ending is pretty much the DEFINITION of rules-lawyering. 

Overall, this was a pretty pleasant book series to read (see what I did there?). I can't say the characters are 100% likeable or that I found some parts of the plot a stretch at times, but overall, this was a pretty decent read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment